Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Let's Get to Work!

Habari!
1/8/18

Today was our first real day working with our colleagues here in Ilula. My rotation for the first part of this week is on the OB floor, and a lot of my day was about getting accustomed to the work flow here.  The flow of rounding is fast paced, and it was pretty difficult to just get on top of what each patient is admitted for, let alone start understanding the management plan of each. Our staff doctor is very kind, and he was patient with teaching us and interpreting. We also have 2 students on the team who are training to be general clinical officers, and it has been fun learning from them and teaching a few topics! There were many similarities in management plans with those we do in the US, but quite a few differences as well.  More than anything there is A LOT less paperwork here!

I was also able to participate in the delivery of two beautiful baby girls today, and what struck me the most about these were the strength of those mamas. How a woman can go through labor courageously without a sound (or any type of pain medication) is one of the most amazing superpowers I have ever seen. The most challenging part of these deliveries was not being able to speak with the patients and find the relationship that I am used to. Yes, I can learn how to say “push” in Swahili, but it still felt like something was missing without a common language or an interpreter.

As we begin to integrate into the teams we work with, I am continuing to consider what it is we bring by being here.  It has been clear from the start that we are here to continue to build the relationships that has been fostered over the years between the hospital and our sponsoring organization, Bega Kwa Bega.  We also bring a spirit of learning and teaching that supports a culture of continual learning here at the hospital.  But what role do I play in patient care? I saw things today that differ greatly from the care I would provide in the US, and this begins to make me feel uncomfortable. But with each decision made by the doctors here there are circumstances and resources that I cannot fully understand. I will continue to strive to understand as much as I can, and hopefully I can also find ways of sharing my own knowledge in exchange.


After the work was done, we got our formal Kiswahili lesson!  I can now officially say “I go to bed” (Ninalala) and “I am sick in my back” (Ninaumwa mgongo).  So, I am basically set!!

-Lindsay


Here I am with our students, Given and Baraka

1 comment: