Thursday, January 11, 2018

January 11th

Unfortunately today I was stuck in bed most of the day due to a stomach bug that is going around our group. Therefore, most of my post will be about things we did yesterday.

Yesterday, we went into Iringa to look around and do a little shopping. We stopped at this store called Neema's crafts and they did not have the typical touristy things such as magnets or carved elephants. The things they did have were incredibly beautiful and well made. We were able to tour the workshop and learn about their story. Neema's provides training and job opportunities to people in Tanzania with disabilities. Typically, disabled people in Tanzania have a stigma attached to them and either have to beg on the streets for money or are hidden away in their homes. Neema's trains and employs disabled individuals. They train their employees to make items for the gift shop starting from scratch. They use very old style machines. They also have a guest house, cafe, and conference center that is run by it's employees. After learning all of this it was easy to purchase an item from their store because you know that it is going to directly support their cause.

Another thing I have found entertaining on this trip is learning things from Evan, an agnsty 14 year old.

Things I have learned from Evan/Evan quotes:

Watermelon is a very inconsistent tasting fruit. However, cantelope is very consistent and underrated.

Evan's basic needs:
1. Food
2. ‎Water
3. ‎Shelter
4. ‎Gelato

"Snapchat is stupid. Country music is stupid. Everything is stupid."

"Hi. I'm Bri and I'm a pharmacy student."
"Hi. I'm Evan and I'm a child."

"BUT WHY????"


2 comments:

  1. I took my daughter on a mission trip to India at the same age. She lived on white rice and Cadbarry chocolate bars for 3 weeks. I did a pop up clinic in a "planned slum" and she taught ESL to high school age girls and was our "ambassador of chia" and may have done more long term good for the project than I did by finding a candidate to teach long term in their preschool. Those in our group doing teaching type things could usually get her to help with their prep by bribing her with additional Cadbarry bars because MOM (Mean Old Mom) only provided one per day. She hated my guts for not getting her an early flight home, but wrote her college essays about what she experienced and learned. I hope Evan is having a little better time, but I am sure he will get as much out of his experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I worked with Evan's mom for several years, say "Hi" to her, she'll remember Lori and the trip to India. Perhaps it might help when she hears "stupid" for the umpteenth time of the day.)

      Delete